I never have to worry about getting enough exercise when we are taking care of a bed and breakfast. Exercise is built into the job. Just think of all the walking you do as an innkeeper.
1. You show each new guest to their room sometimes going up and down stairs multiple times in any one day.
2. If you are a small inn, you are also back and forth to the guest rooms multiple times a day taking laundry from the room to the washer then back to the storage closet. That doesn't include making the beds with the new laundry
3. Of course you are walking back and forth restocking supplies, carrying out dirty dishes or glasses from the rooms and putting fresh amenities into the rooms.
4. Then how many times you go back and forth answering the front door. Sometimes you even are giving tours of the house to those who stop by.
5. Most innkeepers take a walk around each room after it has been cleaned just to make sure all is ready.
6. In the morning you are back and forth from prep area to sink to stove to counter any number of times. Once the dishes are ready you are back and forth from the kitchen to the guest tables to serve and clean up afterwards.
7. Don't forget going to the grocery store and going up and down the aisles and carrying the bags in from the car afterwards and putting the groceries away.
In other words, as innkeepers we are always on our feet.
Owner of Inn Caring
Best Mother's Day Bacon!
2 months ago